Recipe by The Ritz Carlton, The Walk: Taffy Lollypops with Date Syrup ~ doesn’t the sound of it transport you back to your childhood? Well, it definitely does for us and the addition of dates make them almost localises the recipe! Dates are used in cooking in both sweet and savoury dishes and we are sharing the finest Date recipes that we hope will add a bit of sweet deliciousness to your Iftar table and your Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations. Although Dates are available the year around, they take on a greater role during Ramadan when Muslims across the world break their Ramadan fast (Iftar) with dates. Research has also proven that having dates after fasting has got great nutritional and health benefits as they are easy to digest, gives that immediate boost to the energy and more.
Date is a staple fruit of the Middle East and have been cultivated for many thousands of years. There are many varieties of dates available in the region and they are primarily sold fresh, when in season, semi – dried all year round, and as date syrup often referred to as dibs. Dried dates tend can be eaten as is, can be pitted (destoned) or you will find them pitted and stuffed with fillings such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, cream cheese, tahini and candied orange and lemon peel. The most decadent dates tend to be those dipped in chocolate or converted into a sparkling date juice for the occasional treat. Dates provide a wide range of essential nutrients, and an excellent source of dietary fiber, natural sugars, magnesium and potassium.
Taffy Lollypops with Date Syrup
- 1 lt date syrup
- 125 gm almonds (sliced)
- 125 gm pistachio (chopped)
- 125 gm dried apricot (diced)
- In a heavy bottom saucepot, bring date syrup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and using a candy thermometer, cook the syrup until it reaches a temperature of 115 degrees Celsius.
- Remove date syrup from the heat and keep warm.
- Using an ice block, ladle 1o ounce of the reduced syrup onto the ice. Sprinkle some almonds, pistachios, and diced apricot onto the syrup as it sets and a Popsicle stick.
- Add another 10 ml of syrup over the nuts and fruit and allow to set.