An exclusive recipe brought to you by Berryfect
Bilberries are often confused with the high bush blueberries that we commonly know, as the word bilberry translates into blueberry in many European languages. However bilberries (or forest blueberries) refer to those that grow naturally in Northern Finland, Norway, Sweden and some parts of Russia.
Everybody should have at least one good banana cake recipe up their sleeve. Not only is it a great way to use up your ripe bananas, it’s one of the few cakes you can eat with a good conscience. Simple banana cake on its own is delicious but if you want to make it a show- stopper, try frosting your cake with Bilberry Mascarpone Frosting and decorating it with healthy fruits, nuts and seeds.
Read more about bilberries in our Ingredient section.
For Bilberry Marscapone Frosting
- 8 oz or 250 gms mascarpone
- 25 ml ( 1 tbsp + 1 tsp) maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sachets Berryfect Bilberry Powder* a pinch of salt
- Put the mascarpone into a medium-sized bowl and soften by mixing with a spoon.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to the mascarpone and mix until evenly combined.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt and 2 sachets of Berryfect Bilberry Powder. Mix until evenly combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use
For Banana Cake
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 gms unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and place a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Get an 8-inch (20cm) round baking pan and line it with parchment paper or lightly grease and flour it.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients ( our, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and set it aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- To the bananas, add the vanilla extract, beaten eggs and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Get your bowl of dry ingredients and a spatula. Pour the dry ingredients into the center of the wet ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients gently but quickly into the wet ingredients until just combined (do not overmix).
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and place immediately into your preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then check if it is done. If the banana cake needs more time, leave it in for another 5-10 minutes. If the top of the cake seems done before the center is done, cover loosely with a piece of baking parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Once baked through, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool before removing it from the baking pan.
- Once cool, frost the Banana Cake with the Bilberry Mascarpone Frosting and decorate with fruits and nuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip! If you do not have space in your refrigerator to keep your frosted cake, you can keep your unfrosted banana cake in a sealed container on your countertop and your bilberry mascarpone frosting in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, simply cut a slice of cake and add a dollop of frosting on the side.
If you feel like summer and Finland are still too far away, have a try of these delicious deserts with Berryfect Bilberry Powder made from bilberries powered by the Northern lights in the wild forests in Finland. Berryfect comes in easy to use individual sachets which can be added to shakes, smoothies, porridge, dressings, dips and in baking, making it ideal for a busy lifestyle. The deep purple powder adds colour, nutrients and an extra tangy taste to food. One 3 gms serving is the equivalent of 30 gms of fresh berries and one complete box contains one litre of fresh picked arctic berries – all the Bilberry’s nutritionally dense parts: juice, pulp, skin and seeds are used. Berryfect contains no additives, preservatives or sugar.
Bilberries contain high amounts of vitamins, minerals, avonoids, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids as well as nutritional bre and hence a perfect food choice for children, the elderly, competitive athletes and anyone trying to improve their health, or trying to lose weight.
You can find these superfoods in the UAE at www.bilberry.ae
Berryfect is a premium berry powder, made from bilberries grown under the Northern Lights and the midnight sun in wild forests in Finland. Berryfect powders are ground from whole juicy Bilberries. All the Bilberry’s nutritionally dense parts: juice, pulp, skin and seeds are used. Berryfect is brought to the region by Nordic Power General Trading. Follow their visual journey on Instagram and search for the hashtag #berryfectme for violet superfood inspiration.
This recipe has been provided exclusively for FoodeMag dxb readers. We have also tried Berryfect Bilbbery at FoodeMag dxb kitchen. Recipe & image: Erum Faruqi Gulmann www.totalsalads.com