Love at First Bite? My love of Mille Feuille has been rekindled after a long hiatus and I’ve been on the hunt for the best Mille Feuille in Dubai for a while. Whilst I’m still searching, these are a few of my favourites from my tasting so far. French Bakery – Consistently good Mille Feuille can be found here and other outlets around Dubai, namely Second Cup and Jamaica Blue to name a few. Almaz by Momo – Not the first place you would think of for a Mille Feuille, but the ones that you find here are purely for indulgence – rich and decadent with posh finishing on the top. Bateel – The Dhibs Mille Feuille has a surprising Arabic twist to it which is more than welcoming.
And my winner so far… La Patisserie, Sofitel Downtown. It is worth the trip, particularly when you get to know how much time, love and care goes into making the perfect Mille Feuille – two days to be precise as I learnt during my Masterclass with Chef Jeremie, the Pastry Chef at the Sofitel Dubai Downtown.
Red Fruit Mille Feuille
For Puff Pastry Dough:
- 60 gms puff pastry
- 60 gms pastry cream, low fat
- 50 gms fresh cream, low fat
- 20 gms raspberry puree
For Vanilla Cream:
- 1½ tbsp fresh milk, low fat
- 1½ tbsp whipping cream, low fat
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 gm vanilla
- 17 gms cherry
- 12 gms raspberry, fresh
- 10 gms blueberry, fresh
- 1-2 mint leaves, fresh
- pinch of icing sugar
- Bake the puff pastry dough at 200ºC for 20 minutes.
- Cut the dough into rectangular pieces.
- Mix the fresh cream, pastry cream and raspberry puree to form an even filling paste.
- Lay a layer of puff pastry, top it with the filling paste.
- Repeat the same arrangement to get 2 layers of puff pastry with the filling paste in between each layer.
- Prepare the vanilla cream by mixing the fresh milk, whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk.
- Pour the vanilla cream on top of the layered puff pastry.
Garnish the Mille Feuille with icing sugar, fresh raspberries (that are cut in half), blueberries, cherries and mint leaves.
[We have modified this holiday recipe from Right Bite Nutrition Centre, Dubai. www.right-bite.com]