Fakhdet Kharoof ~ Roasted Leg Of Lamb
- 3 springs fresh rosemary
- pomegranate seeds for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
For the leg of lamb
- 1 whole leg of lamb on the bone
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 small onion, grated
- a pinch (¼ tsp) ground all spice
- a pinch (¼ tsp) ground cinnamon
- a pinch (¼ tsp) ground cardamom
- ½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the roasted potatoes and garlic:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- salt and black pepper
- The night before roasting, trim any excess fat on the leg of lamb and score the flesh with a small knife and place the halved garlic cloves inside the holes you just created. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, tomato paste, pomegranate molasses, grated onion, seasoning, spices and the crushed dried rosemary and mix all very well to combine. Drizzle slowly with olive oil while mixing to emulsify.
- Place the leg of lamb in a large zip-lock bag, and add the emulsified yogurt mixture then rub the leg of lamb with the mixture to coat. Seal the bag and place in the fridge over night.
- The next day, place the garlic bulbs in a deep roasting tin and drizzle lightly with olive oil then set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, seasoning, garlic powder and the crushed dried rosemary then set aside. Peel and quarter the potatoes and rub all well to coat with the seasoned olive oil mixture, then place the potatoes in the roasting tin with the garlic bulbs. Top all with a wire rack and place the marinated leg of lamb over the rack, then cover the tin tightly with foil paper.
- Roast, covered, in a 180ºC preheated oven for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to 120C and roast, covered for an extra hour. Make sure to shake the tin frequently to prevent the potatoes from sticking and burning. Remove the cover and roast for 15 minutes extra or until slightly browned.
- Transfer the leg of lamb and vegetables to a serving dish and place the fresh rosemary springs on the sides for garnish and sprinkle all with the fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley. Serve with a side of salad and green olives.
[Dima Sharif, the author of Plated Heirlooms, has shared this recipe and image with FoodeMag dxb website and e-magazine.]