Recipe by The Ritz Carlton, DIFC: Dulcey Date is a rich drink using the smooth, creamy Valrhona Dulcey Chocolate which has a velvety and enveloping texture and a warm, golden color. The flavors of freshly-baked shortbread with a pinch of salt in the indulgent chocolate attains a rich flavor when mixed with dates. Dates are used in cooking in both sweet and savoury dishes and we are sharing the finest Date recipes that we hope will add a bit of sweet deliciousness to your Iftar table and your Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations. Although Dates are available the year around, they take on a greater role during Ramadan when Muslims across the world break their Ramadan fast (Iftar) with dates. Research has also proven that having dates after fasting has got great nutritional and health benefits as they are easy to digest, gives that immediate boost to the energy and more.
Date is a staple fruit of the Middle East and have been cultivated for many thousands of years. There are many varieties of dates available in the region and they are primarily sold fresh, when in season, semi – dried all year round, and as date syrup often referred to as dibs. Dried dates tend can be eaten as is, can be pitted (destoned) or you will find them pitted and stuffed with fillings such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, cream cheese, tahini and candied orange and lemon peel. The most decadent dates tend to be those dipped in chocolate or converted into a sparkling date juice for the occasional treat. Dates provide a wide range of essential nutrients, and an excellent source of dietary fiber, natural sugars, magnesium and potassium.
- 800 gm full fat milk
- 200 gm Dulcey chocolate
- 1/2 pod vanilla beans
- 130 gm dates
- Remove seeds from the dates, chop and boil in the milk with the vanilla beans until the dates are soft.
- Mix with a hand blender and strain to remove the skin.
- Weigh the strained mixture and top up with milk until it weighs 930 gm.
- Put the chocolate in a pan, and pour over the mixture. Warm at approx. 60 degrees until the chocolate melts.
- Mix with a hand blender for approximately 30 seconds.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and chill in the fridge until ready to serve cold.