Competition ~ Win 2 tickets to a #DubaiLitFest 2018 session!

You can win 2 tickets to the #DubaiLitFest 2018 session ‘The World on a Plate’ with the legendary Madhur Jaffrey, Claudia Roden and Mark Kurlansky. To enter the competition, simply subscribe to our newsletter below and leave your answer to the question (in this blogpost) … In the age of Kindle and internet, how relevant are cookbooks?

By Team FoodeMag: Competition Time! Emirates Airline Festival of Literature is back from 1st-10th March 2018 and is celebrating it’s 10th year. We have tied up with them to give our readers a chance to ~ Win 2 tickets to the #DubaiLitFest session ‘The World on a Plate’ with Madhur Jaffrey, Claudia Roden, Mark Kurlansky. The session will be held on Saturday 3rd March 2018, 6pm-7pm at  Al Baraha 1, InterContinental Dubai Festival City and the panel will be moderated by Tom Urquhart. Team FoodeMag is going to be attending the session too, but before that we will be chatting to the legendary cookbook authors, so do stay tuned in to our Instastories and social media feed!

What can you expect to hear in this session? Does the food on our plate have its own story to tell? Our panel discusses the historical and cultural significance of national dishes, the forces that cause different cuisines to evolve, and the impact of globalisation on our tastes.

About the authors: Madhur Jaffrey is a world authority on Indian food, and through books such as Curry Easy has introduced aspiring cooks to the varied cuisines of India; Mark Kurlansky is the author of Cod and Salt, books that show how food shaped global trade and human history, and International Night, a collection of international recipes he and his daughter cooked together; and Claudia Roden approaches the food of the Middle East and Mediterranean as an anthropologist: her recent book The Food of Spain explores the history and culture of the regional cuisines featured.

Win 2 tickets to the #DubaiLitFest session ‘The World on a Plate’!

Brought to you by Emirates Airline Festival of Literature

About the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature: The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature is the Arab World’s largest celebration of the written and spoken word, featuring international and regional writers, poets, thinkers and speakers from around the world. In 2017, 44,000 visitors enjoyed the Festival’s main programme of events starring Jeffrey Archer, Bothayna Wail Al Essa, Ibrahim Farghali, His Excellency Omar Saif Ghobash and Jo Malone, among many others.

The aim of the Festival is to develop a culture of reading as an enjoyable habit in the UAE, and its efforts have been recognised through many awards over the years. By providing an equal platform for international and locally-based talents, the Festival continues to build the literary landscape in the UAE and further afield.

Alongside the main programme, the Festival organises an Education programme, which positively impacted on 25,000 students across the UAE in 2017. The programme includes education days, student sessions and author school visits where young people meet and interact with their favourite authors, plus student competitions, held in Arabic and English, which allow young people to showcase their skills through poetry, short stories and reading.

Held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, the Festival is a key part of the Emirates Literature Foundation, which was established in 2013 by Royal Decree. In partnership with Emirates Airline and the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), the Emirate’s dedicated authority for heritage, arts, and culture, the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature celebrates its 10th anniversary from 1-10 March 2018.

Emirates Airline Festival of Literature
Full programme for the 2018 Festival is available digitally on this link.
For more info: www.emirateslitfest.com

The Festival Office is located at Emirates Literature Foundation in the Al Shindagha Historical Neighbourhood.
Emirates Literature Foundation
Al Shindagha Historical Neighbourhood
PO Box 24506
Dubai, UAE

Festival venue: Intercontinental Dubai festival City

Latest Posts

11 Replies to "Competition ~ Win 2 tickets to a #DubaiLitFest 2018 session!"

• comment-avatar
    Armie 24th February 2018 (4:43 pm)

Real cookbooks will always have its special spot in our kitchen. It is convenient to use because it doesn’t need batteries, you can easily flip through from one page to the next, it keeps us away from other social media distractions, and it won’t be damaged if you spill something it. I also love to look at the captivating photography on cookbooks. It is a work of art that makes our culinary experience worthwhile! Books are old friends and our attachment to it can never be replaced. #feelinglucky

• comment-avatar
    Yvonne Santimano 24th February 2018 (6:07 pm)

Hard Bound Cookery Books will never replace any other forms …

• comment-avatar
    Rajul matkar 24th February 2018 (7:37 pm)

Hi
    Cook books are as relevant as handling ingredients as it adds to the sensory pleasure of cooking along with the feel rustle of pages turning and the addition of notes as you try and tweak recipes😍

• comment-avatar
    Jonathan Castle 26th February 2018 (11:41 am)

How relevant are cookbooks? For a chef like me, fundamental, a familiar library of tried and trusted techinques I can refer to again and again, but also diversion and inspiration. Just how do you cook a rabbit? What should it look like? What do I need to know about preparation? But the most important one is not a single printed edition, it is the folder full of cuttings, recipes and notes I have compiled from a lifetime of pleasure and experiment, memories and highlights from the journey in my kitchen!

• comment-avatar
    Jasmine Pereira 27th February 2018 (11:50 am)

The stained pages of a worn-out cookbook are the earliest memories of watching my mom cook in the kitchen. Watching her flip through those pages, searching for the prefect dish to serves us a warm and comforting meal is a memory that I will cherish forever. Her hand written notes on every other page of the cookbooks are notes that she wrote for me to follow. I still have that book and many more of what was handed to me and one day, I hope to pass them on to my own child. No technology can replace hand written notes and recipes.

• comment-avatar
    Mehak 27th February 2018 (9:22 pm)

I think cook books still hold their own in the age of google and kindle. Cookbooks, ebooks, blogs and even discussion forums have all contributed to satiating my culinary curiosities. In a (maybe not so obvious but) big way I think what’s more relevant to people depends on what inspired them to cook. Having said that, I have to admit I hold a bias towards cookbooks.

A cookbook is what inspired me to attempt to make something myself. Specifically the one cookbook that my mom handed to me with all her “secret” recipes in it. The ragged edges, the greasy stains and my mothers effortlessly neat handwriting on those pages held together by a loosely bound string will always be close to my heart. I may have learned to eat clean and bake healthier from hours of “googling” but I don’t think any of that would have happened if it wasn’t for the scent of that buttery orange cake that I can swear still lingers in the pages of that cookbook. My interest in cooking grew by watching my mom cook, collect cookbooks, eagerly scribble down tips from cookery shows and file recipe cut outs from magazines. At one point she grew tired of how many drawers this hobby occupied in our home and instead started bookmarking recipes on her iPad. But it really doesn’t matter because I have a pile of recipes of my own now. So that stack hasn’t stopped growing. Not yet, anyway!

• comment-avatar
      Mehak 27th February 2018 (9:24 pm)

PS. Wasn’t able to subscribe to the newsletter! Got an error pop up message saying “email address is invalid”. Tried 2 email addresses!

• comment-avatar
        Debbie Rogers 28th February 2018 (10:51 am)

Thanks we are checking out the subscribe issue. x

• comment-avatar
          Fathima 1st March 2018 (3:42 pm)

I’m also having the same issue 🙁

• comment-avatar
    chris 28th February 2018 (4:15 pm)

Although cookbooks serve as an excellent reminder of the past, it is not very relevant in todays setting.

Using electronic devices not only makes it easier to scan many recipes at once, it also helps compare recipes and find one that suits your needs and tastes for the day.

Flipping through many recipe books is tedious and time consuming and one may not have an endless libarary to choose from.

Also storing your own tried and tested recipes is much easier with an elecronic device since it will always be available to search and use more quickly. Books are comparatively more perishable.

So the advantages of electronic devices far outweigh cookbooks.

• comment-avatar
    Fathima 1st March 2018 (10:25 am)

I think cook books cannot be replaced by anything. When you cook something with love and pleasure the food turns out really delicious.
    It gives a great pleasure than in following other sources. When I follow a cook book I feel like I’m fully into it. Feeling lively.